Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Yes, I turned down Tix to see "W"

President Bush is speaking today at the Grand Ole Opry House and I could have been there. But, I would have had to been there by 10Am, gone into lock down mode around 11 am, hope that he was on time, and speaking around 12:10 pm, and then waited for the "all clear" from the Secret Service after his speech around 12:45 pm or so, and probably been back in the office by 1:30 pm. That is just too much hassle for me. I did see him the last time he spoke at Vanderbilt Medical Center, and I went through all of the above. I have to admit, it was very very cool when he came out on stage, and "Hail to the Chief" was played and the Secret Service was all over the place. Plus, seeing the Blackhawk helicopters buzzing around West End and Hillsboro Rd area--before, during and after his speech. I guess I'm just not a political junkie the way I used to be. Seriously, there are people today who are so pumped up to see "W" that they can hardly contain themselves. This is what they live for--a Presidential visit and speech. This is what keeps them motivated--seeing their man in person. That used to be me. I used to think about running for office and playing the 'ole political game, but somewhere along the way, other priorities, and other interests surfaced. The only way I got tix to the event today was by financially supporting Bob Corker for Senate, so I guess I'm still a little involved in the whole thing. Suffice to say, it's good to know your Congressman, Senator, or Governor! And let's hope good men and women out there still want to serve the public. God knows we need them, whoever and wherever they are!

No comments: